Posts by category
- "I think the first and most important measure of accountability to the public is to the parents in general, right? The fact that parents choose a school for their child.”
- The Smart Money: Designing A School Budget
- Improving Title II of the Elementary and Secondary School Act
- "Schools are still a national issue, but there is a consensus that the issues not to be resolved from Washington."
- "I want to be very clear: the massive and immediate cuts to education, health care, medical research, and other middle class and worker priorities that President Trump is demanding are absolute non-starters for Democrats."
- Reducing Student Absenteeism in the Early Grades by Targeting Parental Beliefs
- Limited Means, Limited Options
- What’s at Stake for Schools in Health Care Debate?
- To Find the Value a Teacher Adds, Look Beyond Test Scores
- Is California's Accountability Model an ESSA Bellwether?
- The Surplus of Teacher-prep Programs
- "I was all for ESSA's devolution of authority back to the states. But I'm now living a vivid, painful example of how federalism can be used to advance adult interests at the expense of students."
- "The reality is that private schools receiving taxpayer funds lack accountability and transparency, can deny students and parents basic rights, and are inaccessible to students in rural areas and students who cannot afford to pay the difference in cost between the voucher and private school tuition."
- School Choice & Trump's Budget: A Chat with Martin West
- Corporal Punishment in US Schools
- Proficiency vs. Growth: Toward a Better Measure
- Parsing Betsy DeVos on the Education Budget
- Private School Choice Across the States
- Health and Academic Achievement
- Don’t Forget Magnet Schools When Thinking About School Choice
- "The budget places power in the hands of parents and families to choose schools that are best for their children by investing an additional $1.4 billion in school choice programs."
- "We're going to do what's best for children by implementing the law as Congress intended, with the freedom and flexibility that state and local leaders deserve."
- Americorps' Value
- What Title I Portability Would Mean for Federal Education Aid
- The Gap Within the Gap
- Teacher Absenteeism
- "It will give Secretary DeVos a blank check to promote her anti-public-school agenda."
- The Equity Problem in Teachers' Pensions
- "Here is the problem with this rule that was put out by the U.S. Department of Education: the rule specifically does things or requires states to do things that Congress said ... the Department can’t do. In other words, the Department’s regulation specifically violates the law."
- "I am calling upon members of both parties to pass an education bill that funds school choice for disadvantaged youth, including millions of African-American and Latino children. These families should be free to choose public, private, charter, magnet, religious or home school that is right for them."
- Jobs and College Degrees
- DeVos Decoded: Who, What, When and Where
- Diane Ravitch's Problematic Polemics
- FutureEd, McCourt School to Host EWA Conference
- Novice State Leaders
- Tennessee Teachers and Evaluation
- Teacher Performance and Tenure
- "Do you agree...that all schools that receive taxpayer funding should be equally accountable?" "Well no...."
- "The path to higher standards and better teaching and real accountability is community by community, classroom by classroom, state by state, and not through the federal government."
- "We have a unique window of opportunity to make school choice a reality for millions of families."
- "I want every single inner-city child in America, who is today trapped in a failing school, to have the freedom — the civil right — to attend the school of their choice."
- "I can tell the attitude is more of a ‘receive mode.’ They’re waiting to be told what they have to do, and that’s not going to bring success to an individual child. You have to have teachers who are empowered to facilitate great teaching."
- Rush to Judgment: Teacher Evaluation in Public Education
- Vouchers in Indiana's Private Schools
- DeVos and Kaine on School Accountability
- Interview Post Test 3
- Interview Post Test 2
- Interview Post Test 1